Expressiones Fall Newsletter – Summer Fall 2022
Expressiones Cultural Center is a place that fuels creativity, ignites minds, and provides inspiration. We are pleased to share the most relevant activities developed during this year.
- Free Saturdays Families Workshop! Since January 2022 Expressions has reinstalled its tradition of free workshops for families on Saturday’s mornings. These workshops by our artists in residence had a different theme each time, were free of charge and all the materials were provided.
- Summer Camps 2022 Monday, June 27th was the start of our Happy Summer Camp 2022! We started with yoga, photography, and art classes! More to come throughout the month of July.
- The five weeks of our Expressiones Summer Camp 2022. Were full of Yoga, Art Workshops, Field Trips, Photo and critical analysis of photography, and more… entertaining lessons to acquire a broader vocabulary in the English language, field trips, and awakening our kid's critical thinking! All in one Summer Camp, serving our youth! This year Expressions Summer Camp 2022 had talented professionals from various fields offering their knowledge in different areas to our kids. Here is a discussion of photography in a class led by New London Artist & Photographer Mattias Lundblad.
- Field Trips: I-Park Big thank you I-Park, Alison Guinness and Audubon Society, and The Drop-in Learning Center for making it possible for a wonderful visit and bird watching and making with nature for the children of New London and our activities as part of Summer Camp 2022 at Expressions. A joint effort that marks and enriches the lives of our youth! Florence Griswold Museum Expressiones Summer Camp 2022! One more visit with Summer Campers to the wonderful and always welcoming Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme. The outdoor painting was a unique and inspirational experience for our New London kids, who were fascinated by the beauty of the place and learning to know how to paint a landscape. Big thank you, Florence Griswold Museum and Boys and Girls Club of New London.
- Open Studio AIR Carlos Biernnay Expressiones Artist in Residence Carlos B Biernnay Open Studio was an instance to exchange ideas and feedbacks about Carlos’s work and the concepts behind it.
- Expressiones’ friends who attended the event and had a great time El Proyecto del Pez exhibit by Carlos Biernnay Opening and Artist Talk An unforgettable evening during the opening of our latest exhibition at Expressiones. "The Fish Project" brought together friends and friends of art in New London.
- Spark Makerspace Visits El Proyecto del Pez Thanks to our friends from Spark Makerspace for such a pleasant visit where we shared moments of great interest in art, enjoying the guided tour that Carlos Biernnay generously offered to his current exhibition in Expressiones, "El Proyecto del Pez." We lived unforgettable moments of community and art! Honduran Partnership Two of our dear members of the New London community were sent to Honduras as part of an agreement with IHCI (Instituto Hondureño de Cultura Interamericana), to be part of the jury that selected the works for the 2022 Biennial. Our envoys, Kim Abraham and Mattias Lundblad, did an excellent job. They represented not only Expressiones, but also the New London community, continuing to build bridges of understanding between our peoples through art. They participated in the selection of the works and did a great job.
- Hispanic Celebration Month In conjunction with La Grua Center in Stonington, Expressions has been celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month with two parallel exhibitions entitled "Portrait of Complexity” A Celebration of Hispanic Artists.
- Saturdays Families Workshops Saturday workshops for families. In partnership with Boys and Girls Club New London, families from our community meet on Saturdays for various workshops. In the month of October, we are knitting hats that will be donated to the shelters in our community to warm up with wool and love the neediest members of our community in the cold months to come.
- Current Artist in Residence: Federico Rosa-Suazo, from Honduras Federico is a young Honduran artist with an impressive trajectory despite his youth. Federico has exhibited in Germany, Honduras, and New York. He is currently developing weekly art workshops for the children of our Drop-in Learning Center in New London as well as for Boys and Girls Clun of New London.